Soal Tes TOEFL dan Pembahasan Jawaban (Written Expression Model Test 3)
|Soal Tes TOEFL dan Pembahasan Jawaban|
16．Bacterial cultures are used commercially in the preparation of food products such that yogurt, sour cream, and vinegar.
Pembahasan Jawaban: such that --> such as
17.Anyone with absolute ,or perfect,pitch are able to identify by ear any note at some standard pitch or to sing a specified note at will.
Pembahasan Jawaban: are --> is
anyone (singular) + is (singular)
18. Sea horses usually live along the shore among seaweed and other plants to which they cling to by their tails.
Pembahasan Jawaban: cling to --> cling (double to)
dua bentuk: (1) to which they cling by their tails (2) which they cling to by their tails. Bentuk pertama umum digunakan untuk situasi formal.
19. Babies have soft spots between the bones of their skulls, which allowing for further growth.
Pembahasan Jawaban: allowing (adjective / present participle) --> allow (verb)
Adjective clause: Connector/Subject + Verb à which (connector/subject)
20. T.S.Elot, who a poet, playwright, literary critic, and editor, was a leader of the Modernist movement in poetry.
Pembahasan Jawaban: who --> dihilangkan saja
Appositive: noun (phrase) yang menjelaskan noun lainnya (yang umumnya posisi subject dalam soal TOEFL)
21. The Pacific Ocean comprises almost the entire boundary western of North and South America.
Pembahasan Jawaban: boundary western --> western boundary
Noun phrase: Adjective +noun
22．Established in 1948, the State University of New York is the singly largest university system in the United States.
Pembahasan Jawaban: singly largest --> single largest
23. Photography disseminates information about humanity and nature, records the visible world, and extension human knowledge into areas the eye cannot penetrate.
Pembahasan Jawaban: extension --> extends
Parallel Structure: disseminates (verb), records (verb), extends (verb)
24. Because of their rapidly changing economically fortunes, many frontier towns of the American West underwent spectacular fluctuations in population in the nineteenth century.
Pembahasan Jawaban: economically (adverb) --> economical (adjective) | rapidly (adverb) changing (adjective) economically (adverb) fortunes (noun)
Noun Phrase: adverb + adjective + noun
25. Virtually no disease exists today for which there is no drug that can be given, neither to cure the disease or to alleviate its symptoms.
Pembahasan Jawaban: neither --> either
Paired Conjunction: either .. or ... , neither ... nor, both ... and
26.Calcium is essential for blood clotting, for the action of certain enzymes, and for the normal contraction and relax of muscles.
Pembahasan Jawaban: relax (verb) --> relaxation (noun)
1. for the relaxation of muscles (preposition + noun)
2. the noun + of + noun
27.The large collection of the Williams College Museum of Art includes ancient and medieval art ,but much exhibits are modern or contemporary.
Pembahasan Jawaban: much --> many
Much + singular nouns (uncountable); many + plural nouns (countable)
28.The technique of spectroscopy allows analyst of incoming light after it has been separated into its component wavelengths by passage through a prism.
Pembahasan Jawaban: analyst (person) --> analysis (thing)
Noun: sesuaikan posisi kata.
29. Today, fifty years after its construction, the Alaska Highway conveys 40,000 vehicles in normal year.
Pembahasan Jawaban: in normal --> in a normal
Noun: year merupakan countable noun. Jadi mesti ada artikel untuk mengetahui secara pasti berapa tahun (year) yang dimaksud. Artikel yang bisa digunakan dapat berupa: a, an, the. Disesuaikan makna kalimat.
30. Since prehistoric times, artists have been arranged colors on surfaces in ways that express their ideas about people, the world, and religion.
Pembahasan Jawaban: have been arranged (telah diatur) -> have arranged (telah mengatur)
31. Few substances look less alike than coal and diamonds, yet both are fashioned from same elemental carbon.
Pembahasan Jawaban: from same à from the same
Same umumnya bersama dengan the -à the same
32. Meteorologists can program their computes to scan for a specific set of weather criteria, such as falling barometric pressure, increase cloud cover, and rising humidity.
Pembahasan Jawaban: increase (to infinitive) à increasing (gerund)
Parallel Structure: falling (gerund), increasing, rising (gerund)
33. Obsidian is formed when siliceous lava cools too rapidly to crystallized into rock-forming minerals.
Pembahasan Jawaban: crystallized à crystallize atau be crystallized
Makna yang diminta kalimat adalah makna pasif. Jika Noun + to + infinitive maka to infinitive bermakna pasif. Contoh lain: this is the best book to read (inilah buku yang paling bagus untuk dibaca)
34. European settlers in North America moved from the Atlantic coast across 3,000 miles forests, grasslands, deserts, and mountains until they reached the Pacific Ocean.
Pembahasan Jawaban: 3,000 miles forests à 3,000 mile forests
Ingat noun yang berfungsi / berposisi adjective tidak menggunakan tambahn -S
35. Philosophy tries to discover the nature of true and knowledge and to find what is of basic value and importance in life.
Pembahasan Jawaban: true (adjective) – truth (noun)
Preposition + noun (of + truth)
36. In this world of high technology, it is easy to forget that the most important tools ever developed for learning is still the book.
Pembahasan Jawaban: tools (plural) à tool (singular) disesuaikan dengan kata kerja is (singular)
Subject Verb Agreement: singular subject + singular verb; plural subject + plural verb
37. The element potassium makes up less than one half percentage of the human body.
Pembahasan Jawaban: percentage --> percent
38. Twenty thousand years ago a sheet of ice a thousand meters thick covered the coastal region which the cities of Vancouver and Juneau now are located.
Which à in which
Pembahasan Jawaban: adjective clause: located in
Ada dua bentuk: (1) in which the cities of Vancouver and Juneau now are located (Formal); (2) which the cities of Vancouver and Juneau now are located in (Informal)
39. The Crow, Blackfoot, and Sioux tribes traditionally adorned they dwellings and costumes with colorful and highly valued beaded decorations.
Pembahasan Jawaban: they à their
Penggunaan Pronoun: they + verb; their + noun
40. In the late 1800’s, United States painter Thomas Eakins develop a broad, powerful Realist style that became almost expressionistic in his later years.
Pembahasan Jawaban: develop (present tense) à developed (past tense)
Tense: in the late 1800’s menandakan waktu yang lampau (past)